Monday, September 10, 2007

Ironman time again

Yesterday the Wisconsin Ironman Triathlon took place near my neck of the woods. I am in awe of these athletes and astounded by what the conditioned human body can accomplish.

The bicycle part of the race runs through the downtown where my folks live; right down the street from their house. Yesterday when I picked up Jenna from Mom and Dad's, we walked down to the course so that we could clap for those who were at the very tail end of the route. These are the same people who had been competing for 9 hours already and still had to bike to the transition point where they'd begin their 26 mile marathon.

Each time a tired athlete would ride by, we'd cheer and yell and clap so that they knew we were there. After hearing me yell several times "Good job!" or "Keep it up!" or "You're doing great!", Jenna started to get the hang of it.

One time a lone rider waved at us as he rode by and we clapped for him. He was about half a block away when Jenna turned to me and looked worried. "Mommy, I forgot 'keep it up'." I told her that he could still hear her.

"KEEPITUP!!!!" she yelled.

And to think last year, she just blew kisses...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home