Saturday, November 01, 2008

Does this mean she'll never be a surgeon?

An interesting thing happened two years ago when Jenna had her first pumpkin carving experience. She sat in her high chair and tried to figure out what in the world we were doing. After some encouragement to reach into the pumpkin guts and get a little messy, she did a strange thing: she gagged. At eighteen months old.

Flash forward to her next pumpkin carving experience two years later (we skipped last year). Two days ago we lugged our pumpkin finds to Grandma and Papa's house. I was interested to see what her reaction would be. We talked on the way there about how ooey-gooey messy we could get and how fun that would be. After Papa cut the top off her pumpkin, I showed her the seeds and guts inside. Tentatively she reached in and pulled some out. Then she gagged. Twice. I don't know if its the smell or the consistency of pumpkin guts or both. The two pumpkin carving experiences are the only time I've ever seen her do this. Its strangely fascinating to me and I wonder if, as she gets older, she'll react differently.

This portrays her feelings perfectly.


Our results. I carved Jenna's in the middle. Papa's is on the left and Daddy's is on the right. Not bad if I do say so myself!!

2 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Julie Jacobs said...

Oh poor Jenna, she really does not look thrilled! I don't like to use my hands to get the gunk out, I don't like the way it feels either!

Good lookin' pumpkins too!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Highlandgal said...

Yuck and double yuck.

I had to ask M to put the pumpkins outside because the smell was making my pregnant nose sick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home