Saturday, June 07, 2008

One of my favorite Mommy Nights

Last night we took Jenna to the carnival - it comes to town this time every year. Jenna has been talking so much lately about her visit last year, I knew she'd be thrilled to go. Last year, she rode the merry-go-round three times and would have stayed on a painted horse or painted zebra all night if we would have let her. I knew that was the first place she'd want to go last night - and that is what she did.

After buying tickets at the booth, we walked the short distance and she picked out which animal would be her best choice for the first (of what I thought, many) rides. Atop a zebra with chipped paint, she held on to the pole and smiled at me standing next to her. And then the merry-go-round began to turn, that familiar music playing. We'd only gone around twice when she frowned and announced with disappointment, "I'm done."

Uh oh. There weren't other rides for little ones we were really comfortable with. They were either ones where she'd have to ride by herself (we were not convinced she'd do that) OR the ride and/or attendant looked scary and/or wanted.

The entire time, Daddy and I kept looking at the Ferris Wheel and then at each other. Should we? Would she like it? Which parent would go with her? I've always loved the Ferris Wheel, but....

Many years ago, we took Kyleah on a much bigger Ferris Wheel in the Dells when she was Jenna's age. It was well maintained, perfectly safe, and seemed like a great idea while we waited in line. We all got into the round cart with a small canopy type roof, it had two seats and a floor in between; a safey bar all the way around. But, like most three year olds, Kyleah refused to sit still. She wiggled and squirmed and tried to stand and look over the edge of the cart while we both had visions of her falling to certain doom. That ride seemed to never end...while we tried not to panic.

With a deep breath, I unbuckled Jenna from her stroller and we kissed Daddy "goodbye" and got in line. "You have to sit very still" I told her, perhaps a bit too sternly. We gave the scary looking (wanted?) attendant our tickets and got into the purple cart. He pulled the safety bar down and it snapped in place. And then the big wheel began to turn.

She. Loved. It. !!!!!!!!

She squealed and laughed and smiled the entire time. "I love this ride, Mommy" she yelled over and over with the wind blowing through her hair. My face hurt from smiling so much sitting next to her. During one revolution, she let go of the bar and tried to peel my hand off her little thigh. I took the hint and loosened my grip. :)

We ended up going back for another Ferris Wheel ride before we left. Daddy was still having flashbacks of the Dells, so I got the chance to go with her again. Pure joy!

I won't ever forget it.

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Julie Jacobs said...

That is fantastic! What a great time, i can just hear her!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger T's Mom said...

What a trooper, the ferris wheel (or is it the attendants?) still scares me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home