Friday, November 24, 2006

Want to know something cool?

My husband helped save a life on Wednesday! :) As some of you know, he works in the public safety field and is currently assigned to the airport. On Wednesday, an older man collapsed in the baggage return area. He responded to find this man not breathing and without a pulse. Along with a bystander who is an EMT in a neighboring community, they performed CPR (my honey did the rescue breathing) on this man. A doctor coming home from vacation spotted the commotion and helped as well. An AED was used to shock the man twice. By the time the paramedics arrived to transport him to the hospital, the man was awake and talking. To our knowledge he is still doing well and has had surgery to implant an automatic defibrulator.

You can probably imagine how rare and special this is. He was in the right place at the right time and made such a tremendous difference in this man's life. I can't tell you how proud I am of him!

Want to know the kicker? One of the local television stations did a story on the heroes who saved this man on Thanksgiving Eve. My honey is very reserved about this kind of thing - he doesn't want any attention from anyone about it. I'm sure he wouldn't even be thrilled that I'm posting about it. I know that if his department has this as a part of their annual awards ceremony (they better!), I will have a difficult time getting him to go. But at home and with me, he was proud and happy to have such a rare thing happen in his career. We waited through three different newscasts until it was finally on. We called our family to be sure to watch it. Guess what? He was never mentioned once - not even alluded to. The EMT who did the chest compressions was interviewed and seemed to claim all the victory. Even the doctor who was there was mentioned in the story. The one breathing into his lungs wasn't even noted. I've rarely been that angry. The job he has is often times a thankless one and people are quick to criticize those in his line of work. I guess helping to save a life just isn't newsworthy. He said very little, but I could tell how disappointed he was. GRRRR!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are all proud...i could write a letter to channel 3 if you want and tell them to report more thoroughly!!!!

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger allison said...

Wow, what a thing to have happen to you -- whether he was on the newscast or not, he and the other men knew who really did the work here, and your hubby I'm sure will always remember what an awesome thing he did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home