Thursday, September 07, 2006

SpongeBob Jenna Pants

Jenna is learning things at lightening speed it seems. I talk to her A LOT as we are doing our routine things or playing together. As her language skills have gotten better, its easier to understand what the heck she is talking about (or begging for, or complaining about). I'd say that I understand what she is saying about 70% of the time...which I think is pretty good. What I'm amused by is the way she labels things or actions - I really have to be careful about what I say when she is learning new things. Two cute examples:

We were at the park last night and she was playing in the sand. When we got home, I wanted to wash her hands in the kitchen sink, knowing that her fingers would end up in her mouth mere seconds later. (stupid molars!) Prior to washing her hands, she was coming inside with me and was not happy about her outside time ending. Her expression of this is to find something (or someone) and hit it. I told her not to hit as I was getting her little hands ready to wash. Now tonight, she pointed at the sink demanding to "HIT....HIT....HIT". She had associated the two things together and now thinks hitting has to do with wet soapy fun in the sink. : )

((I can only assume this is how "die" came to stand for "pick me up" although I have no idea what the story behind this was.))

She has recently learned the word "owie". Daddy had some blood drawn and had an owie on his arm for a couple of days. Shortly after, she began to discover imperceptible owies on her hand or knee. The first time she showed me, I kissed her hand on the exact spot and told her it was all better. Yesterday, I banged my knee on the car door. I showed her my scuff and bruise and told her I had an owie. She immediately shoved her little hand in my face and said "mmmmmmmmmm-ah" - the noise she makes when she is blowing a kiss. She had associated owies - anyone's owies - with a kiss on her own hand.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Highlandgal said...

Jenna seems to be very verbal for her age. I'll bet you're having fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home